Calibre Wings - 1/72 F-14A VF-1 Wolf Pack 1974
US Navy Fighter Squadron 1 (VF-1) Wolfpack was established on October 14th, 1972 at NAS Miramar as one of the first operational fighter squadrons to be equipped with the F-14A Tomcat. The squadron's first cruise took place in 1974 aboard the USS Enterprise. It was during that deployment that VF-1, along with VF-2, provided fighter cover for the evacuation of Saigon known as "Operation Frequent Wind". VF-1 deployed several more times aboard the Enterprise before being re-assigned to the USS Ranger and occasionally, the USS Kitty Hawk. The Ranger was decommissioned in 1993 and VF-1 was left without a carrier. They operated out of NAS Miramar until VF-1 itself was disestablished on October 1st, 1993.
Designed to carry the formidable long range AIM-54 Phoenix missile, the Grumman F-14 Tomcat was first flown on December 21st, 1970. Made famous by the Hollywood film Top Gun, the F-14 replaced the F-4 Phantom II as the US Navy's primary maritime air superiority fighter. Its design includes a variable geometry wing that can sweep back for high speed supersonic intercepts and forward for improved positioning in air to air dogfights. Nicknamed "Bombcat," the F-14 spent much of its late career in an air-to-ground role, carrying the Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) system.
- Diecast metal construction with some plastic components.
- Realistic panel lines, antennas, access panels and surface details.
- Pad printed markings and placards that won't fade or peel like decals.
- Opening canopies, revealing detailed cockpit interiors.
- Selected moveable control surfaces.
- Interchangeable extended/retracted landing gear.
- Detailed pilot and crew figures.
- Authentic detachable ordnance loads complete with placards.
- Accurately detailed underside with concealed screwheads.
- Many limited editions with numbered certificate of authenticity.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Hobbyco users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.