Academy - 1/35 M10 Tank Destroyer GMC 70th Anniv. Normandy Invasion 1944
Originally developed as part of a mobile tank destroyer force in 1941, the M10 was composite solution to a complex problem. The US Army used a modified M4 Sherman chassis to transport a 76mm (3 inch) anti-aircraft gun in an open-top turret. The US was not the only ones to adapt an AA gun for anti-tank duties, the Germans used the 88mm AA gun against British and US armor in North Africa with devastating results.
Academy released this kit about ten years ago in the 'M10 Duckbill' configuration (late production version with larger counterweights on rear of turret) and in honor of the 70th Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, we have the return of the M10, this time with the earlier (smaller) turret counterweights.
The kit is molded in a forest green styrene and is provided on nine trees, plus the upper and lower hull, one fret of photo-etched parts, and two runs of black vinyl track. The detail is finely molded and there does not appear to be any flash on any of the parts or trees. Ejector pin marks are mostly limited to areas that will not be visible when the kit is assembled, but there are a couple of spots that will need attention, primarily on the inside surface of the turret.
The M10 features a very detailed driver's and radioman's compartment, inner hull stowage, and ammunition racks. The turret is also beautifully detailed with the 76mm main gun, secondary armament, and turret stowage. The suspension and road wheels are very nicely executed.
- Detailed road wheels and suspension system
- Detailed transmission
- Detailed driver's station
- Detailed radio operator's station w/radio set
- Positionable crew hatches
- Ammunition racks with ammo tubes
- Grouser racks on the rear hull sides
- Choice of photo-etch or styrene light guards
- Nicely detailed M7 76.2mm main gun in open-top turret
- .30 caliber and .50 caliber machine guns on turret-top pintles
- Nice selection of external stowage gear and pioneering tools
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Hobbyco users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.