Hasegawa - 1/48 F-8E Crusader
The late 1940s/early 1950s brought together a number of developments that would transform military aviation. First and foremost was the first successful transition through Mach 1 in level flight by Captain 'Chuck' Yeager in 1947. The engineering data flowed out to aircraft designers and that, in turn, led to the first operational supersonic aircraft, the F-100 Super Sabre for the US Air Force followed soon by the F8U Crusader for the US Navy. Another development that enabled these two aircraft was the Pratt and Whitney J57 afterburning turbojet engine. The afterburner on the J57 was a simple on-off power setting, not the variable thrust 'zones' of the modern afterburner.
The Vought design team developed the F8U design to meet the Navy's requirements but it required further innovation to operate safely from aircraft carrier decks. The high-wing design necessitated the need for short and sturdy landing gear in the fuselage, and with the engine, fuel, avionics, etc., all housed in that fuselage, the result was a long, low-slung aircraft. Carrier approach speeds would require nose-high attitudes which would impair the pilot's view of the ship on approach and the tail section would strike the deck on touch-down (crash). Vought's solution to this was a variable incidence wing, a wing that would raise seven degrees which allowed for the slow-flight attitude on approach while keeping the fuselage relatively level at touch-down.
Leading brand of the Japanese model, including Hasegawa offers a wide range of aircraft models in 1/48 scale and 1/72 scale.
- Scale: 1/48
- Item name: F-8E Crusader
- Accurate Scale Model
- Highly detailed model kit
- Detailed Instructions Provided
- May require assembly and painting
- Separately, tools, paint etc are necessary
- Type: Assembly Military Airforce
- Recommended age: From 14 yrs old
- Includes: Plastic sprue (Clear) , Plastic sprue, Decalsheet (waterslide)
- F-8E, 150326, VF-191, NM/100, USS Ticonderoga, CAG aircraft
- F-8E, 150926, VF-191, NM/101, USS Ticonderoga, Skipper's aircraft
- F-8E, 150909, VF-194, NM/400, USS Ticonderoga, CAG aircraft
- F-8E, 150927, VF-194, NM/401, USS Ticonderoga, Skipper's aircraft
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Hobbyco users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.